01 Jul 2020
Australia’s Tanya Cox has been appointed as Chair of the World Green Building Council’s (WorldGBC) Board of Directors for a two-year term.
The WorldGBC brings together Green Building Councils and international sustainability leaders from across 70 countries to accelerate the transformation of the built environment and help deliver on commitments under the Paris Agreement to decarbonise the sector by 2050.
Tanya has served on the WorldGBC’s Board since 1 July 2016, and takes over the position of Chair from Canada’s Lisa Bate. Tanya is only the second Australian to serve in this global sustainability leadership position.
“WorldGBC has brought together a member base that is the strongest local-regional-global action network for the built environment,” Ms Cox said.
“2020 marks the first year of WorldGBC’s new three-year strategy. Having worked closely on its development, I am delighted to have the opportunity with my fellow directors, members and the WorldGBC team to now help lead its implementation.
“Transforming our built environment to achieve net zero emissions requires unified, collective action. Our new strategy sets out clear pathways around three core impact areas to achieve this outcome.
“The widespread support WorldGBC has received for projects like Advancing Net Zero and Better Places for People is evidence of the growing momentum for and commitment to lasting change.
“There are now 96 global signatories to the WorldGBC’s Advancing Net Zerocommitment, which has experienced an almost doubling of support in the past twelve months.
“The added benefits that sustainable buildings deliver to human health and wellbeing have never been more important. Despite current challenges, we will continue to deepen our collaboration, knowledge sharing and advocacy, while celebrating the significant successes of our members in working towards a more resilient and sustainable future.”
Cristina Gamboa, CEO, World Green Building Council said: “Tanya has been a true champion of sustainability, and has worked tirelessly to position best practice in the building and construction industry as a central solution to face climate change, health and environmental crises.
It is this commitment, expertise and strong leadership that has earned Tanya her place as Chair of our Board of Directors. I look forward to working with Tanya as we continue our collective journey with our around 70 member Green Building Councils to transform the built environment and deliver on the ambitions of the Paris Agreement and UN Global Goals for Sustainable Development.”
Tanya Cox is a former chair and current director of the GBCA Board and a non-executive director of various ASX listed and unlisted boards. Tanya has served two terms as Vice-Chair of the WorldGBC and a term as Treasurer. She was formerly Chief Operating Officer of DEXUS Property Group for 11 years. Tanya holds an MBA from the Australian Graduate School of Management, a Diploma in Applied Corporate Governance and is a fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Notes to Editors
The WorldGBC is a global network of Green Building Councils in almost 70 countries. Collectively we are committed to reducing the building and construction sector’s CO2 emissions to reach net zero by 2050: to ultimately help limit global temperature rises to 1.5 degrees Celsius. This goal will help deliver on the ambition of the Paris Agreement. We are building a better future, and are committed to green buildings for everyone, everywhere.
The WorldGBC Board of Directors comprises senior leaders that have been put forward by 14 Green Building Councils from around the world, who are based in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Emirates, Finland, Germany, Mexico, Pakistan, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, Taiwan and the United States. The Board guides the strategy of the WorldGBC and ensures that it successfully delivers on its mission.
The following Directors have been appointed to the WorldGBC Board for the term of 2020-2022:
1. Tanya Cox, nominated by Green Building Council of Australia (Chair), Former Chair of GBCA
2. Ilari Aho, nominated by Green Building Council Finland (Vice-Chair), Vice President of Uponor Group's New Business Development & CSR
3. Tan Swee Yiow, nominated by Singapore Green Building Council (Treasurer), Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director of Keppel Land
4. Dario Ibarguengoitia, nominated by Sustentabilidad para Mexico AC (Secretary), President, IBALCA
5. Saeed Al Abbar, nominated by Emirates Green Building Council, Director of AESG
6. Lisa Bate, nominated by Canada Green Building Council Global Sustainability Lead, Senior Principal at B+H Architects
7. Felipe Faria, nominated by Green Building Council Brazil, CEO of GBC Brazil
8. Johannes Kreissig, nominated by DGNB German Sustainable Building Council, CEO of DGNB
9. Jennifer Layke, nominated by Colombia Green Building Council, Global Director Energy Programme at World Resources Institute
10. Nkosinathi Manzana, nominated by Green Building Council South Africa, Executive Head of Group Real Estate Services: Commercial Buildings for the Standard Bank Group
11. Kevin Mo, nominated by Pakistan Green Building Council, Managing Director of Paulson Institute Beijing Representative Office
12. Cherie Nursalim, nominated by Taiwan Green Building Council, Vice Chair of Giti Group
13. Bruno Sauer, nominated by Green Building Council España, CEO of GBC España
14. Peter Templeton, nominated by US Green Building Council, President and CEO of Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute