30 Mar 2023
Located within Waverley Park in Mulgrave, south east of Melbourne’s CBD, is a new all-electric home that will satisfy the requirements of a growing family keen to lighten its environmental footprint.
The recently Green Star certified “Future is Now House” was architecturally designed by Mirvac’s award-winning design team, then built by Mirvac to the high quality expected of one of Australia’s leading residential developers. The home is a 321 square metre building on a 449 square metre property, making it the most substantial certified Green Star home built to date.
Downstairs you’ll find an open-plan kitchen, living and dining area, and guest bedroom equipped with walk in robe and ensuite, all surrounded by an outdoor entertaining area and generous yard. Head upstairs and you’ll discover the master bedroom, and two more bedrooms, an extra living zone and an adjacent flexi room.
The space itself ticks many boxes for growing families, but it’s the building’s sustainability features that sets this home apart from the rest. Mirvac’s General Manager for Residential Victoria, Elysa Anderson, says these elements are now a key consideration for customers when making their purchasing decisions.
“Mirvac has an important leadership role to play in bringing about positive change. When we design with sustainability in mind, we’re delivering on a whole range of value for our customers. A well-sealed, energy efficient house that runs on renewables, not only emits less carbon, it’s also healthier, comfortable, and cheaper to run.
“Designed by the award-winning Mirvac Design team, this certified Green Star Home has achieved a 7.8-star NatHERS rating, utilises the biggest solar panel system on a single dwelling delivered by Mirvac to date, and is one of Mirvac’s highest-performing homes in terms of operational energy,” Ms Anderson said.
Key sustainability features include:
· Achieves a 7.8-star NatHERS rating, which is modelled to require 48% less energy to keep the home at a comfortable temperature compared to minimum compliance of 6 stars
· A 10kW solar system with 13.5kWh Tesla Powerwall 2 battery system to keep the home powered by the sun all day and into the night;
· A heat recovery ventilation system which provides filtered fresh air to the living areas and bedrooms;
· Thermally broken double-glazed windows which help keep the home warmer in winter and cooler in summer;
· Smart design layouts, such as open tread timber stairs, to maximise cross ventilation and natural light;
· A heat pump hot water system which absorbs warmth from the air and transfers this to heat in the water, making it approximately three times more efficient than a conventional electric hot water system;
· Highly efficient appliances with strong energy and water ratings, including a dishwasher (4-star energy, 6-star water), integrated refrigerator (4-star energy), washing machine (4.5-star energy, 4.5-star water) and dryer (8-star energy);
· Two 2,000-litre water tanks and a Red Water Diverter, which redirects water from the homes’ taps for use in the home’s toilets that would have otherwise been wasted’;
· High-quality colour and flicker-free LED lighting throughout the home;
· Outside, the home has been fitted with two Biofilta food cubes with wicking beds for easy growing and harvesting of herbs, fruit and vegetables.
You can experience first-hand, what a Green Star Home is now, register your interest to view the Waverley Park home here. By choosing a Green Star Home, you can be sure your home meets high standards in health, energy efficiencies and comfort. Learn more about Green Star Homes here.